Cake Ingredients:3 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp salt
¾ cup vegetable oil +1/4 cup pineapple juice
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cups white or brown sugar
2 cups mashed bananas
1 can (8 oz) crushed pineapple, drained
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans, optional
1 cup unsweetened coconut
Frosting:12 oz cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla
¾ cup butter, room temp
4 cups confectioners sugar (approx)
Beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Gradually add sugar , beating until right consistency for spreading. Can be refrigerated for several days. bring to room temp before using.
1. Preheat oven to 350F. (rack mid level) Grease two 9-by-2 inch round cake pans. Line the bottom with parchment or wax paper. Grease paper (if using wax paper) and sides of pan, then dust with flour, tapping out any excess. Set aside.
2. In med bowl, mix flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, beat eggs, sugar and vanilla well, stir in oil until combined. Beat until mixture is pale yellow and fluffy.
4. Add bananas, pineapple, coconut and nuts, stirring until combined. Add flour mixture, blending well.
5. Divide batter between two pans. Bake until golden brown and cake tests done, 30 - 40 minutes.
6. Transfer pans to wire rack and let cool 10-15 min. Run a knife along edge of cakes. Invert onto racks. Remove paper and cool completely. (Assemble cake or freeze for another day)
7. With serrated knife, trim and discard rounded top off one layer. Place layer on serving platter. Spread top with ¼ inch of frosting. Top with untrimmed layer. Frost sides and top of cake with remaining frosting. Decorate with pineapple flowers.